Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's been a while

I can't believe it's been 5 1/2 months since I've posted. Life gets in the way sometimes. The school year is almost over. Actually it will be on Monday. It's been a good year so far--I've only struggled a few times with the new job--a few time a week. Even though I had been working in a crazy busy credit union--a crazy busy school is quite different. It's just me and the kids most days and boy! it's rewarding and frustrating all at the same time. Hopefully, I have taught the kids some valuable life lessons this year--believe in yourself, do what you love, say please and thank you, the world does not revolve around you, use an inside voice, there are adults in the world that care about you, hold yourself accountable, etc. It's amazing that in high school someone has not taught them these things yet. And it's sad to say that sometimes I think I am the only one that has asked them how they are doing in life. I see a lot of the "bad" kids in the office--the misfits is how I think of them. The ones whose parents don't care enough to even call them in sick. How sad is that. I have one who I wish I had met sooner--he's 18 and well past the point of a turn around--but I can see the potential in him--I keep trying to get him to see it, but I don't think it is working. He's not a "school" type of kid--he needs to be working with his hands--electrician--plumber--auto mechanic--something manual. He will do anything for you. He's polite and well mannered--if you make him be. He is failing again this year--his dad will not allow him to go to an alternate school to graduate, or even go get his GED. His dad was a drop out and does not want that for his son. I want to shake him and tell him to "WAKE UP!" your son is failing at school--he feels like a failure--let him accomplish something--let him finish with a GED or alternate diploma and let him get on with his life. It's not all about you--sometimes you have to play the cards you are dealt. No a GED isn't the same as a diploma--but at this point he's never going to get it. GET A GRIP.

Kate now has 2 jobs for the summer. Babysitting a few times a week and working evenings in the concession stands for baseball games. Yeah Kate.

Zach is playing travel baseball with a group of kids I mostly love. Parents are fun too so that helps. Games every Saturday and Sunday and some other week days. Although this Spring has been very wet and more than a few games have been rained out.

I have almost all my flowers planted on my porch. Oh how I love this house and it's porch. Almost daily I think about the gratitude I feel about owning this house--my house. My forever house.

We are planning a vacation to Orlando this year. June 18 through the 27. I am so excited I can't wait--I'd leave tomorrow if we could. The best part is planning it all out though. And I'm not talking about what we're are doing or seeing--but what we will pack. I know, I am weird.

Graduation is tomorrow. Two of my sunshine girls are leaving me--graduating and moving on to the college life. I will miss them coming in to the office every day to share bits and pieces of their days. I hope they come back to see me next year.

I've lost 16 pounds in my weight loss journey so far. Happily I fit into all my shorts and shirts from my 2008 cruise--which was a goal before vacation. I want to lose 4 more pounds before we leave so that I have a little leeway on vacation to enjoy food. Once I get back I will sit down and set my next set of goals--for before junior high baseball 8th grade night. I can't believe I will have a junior and an 8th grader next year. WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment