Monday, January 21, 2013

My weekly chores

I have been struggling for awhile on staying on top of my house work.  Going back to work full time almost 3 years ago has been good for me but bad for my organization and cleaning habits.  This year I am determined to stay on top of everything which will make my life easier and me happier. I sat down and thought of everything I would like to get done in a week and then divided it up by days and put each day on their own separate index card.  I keep them on/in my nightstand to remind me of what I need to accomplish each day.

Here is my schedule (this is still a work in process since I have only been doing it for a little over 3 weeks--I added something today that I had forgotten.  Once I have it down pat I will be laminating my index cards for each day)

Sunday:
clean bathroom
put my laundry away
make sure kids have put all their shoes and laundry away
straighten up kitchen
make sure garbage is taken out
water inside plants (added this one today)

check my calendar--plan week out on fridge weekly dry erase calendar
plan my wardrobe for whole week--hang at front of my closet including jewelry or scarves
plan menu for week
Cook Sunday dinner

Monday:
clean off dining room table
clean out 1 drawer
straighten desk and office
organize something

Tuesday:
do laundry--at least one load of darks, lights and whites
clean fridge and microwave
straighten dining room--dust
file any papers that need it

go to library

Wednesday:
fruit shopping/run errands
straighten den and porch
make sure kids put all their shoes away

Thursday:
do laundry--at least one load of darks, lights, and whites
straighten master bedroom--dust
do 1 or 2 things from my to do list (list on small memo pad I add to as I think of things--on fridge)
clean off dining room table

clean out purse
clean contacts

Friday:
balance checkbook--pay bills every other week
straighten living room--dust
wash rugs, blankets or pillows if necessary
attend MHS games
out to eat or have Doug bring food home

Saturday:
have kids do chores of my choice
vacuum whole house
run errands with Doug
out to eat
wash sweaters or hand washable clothes

So far this has worked out wonderfully for me.  My dining room table has been relatively clean since I started this.  It never was before--it was always piled with all kinds of stuff.  Every day only takes me an hour or hour and half at most to do.  And if someone helps me it takes less time.  Some days I break it up and sometimes I tackle everything all at once.  I feel great about my house and about myself for having accomplished something every day.

Stay tuned for more about my to do list and a monthly chore list I am making for deep cleaning the whole house.

No comments:

Post a Comment