Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Helping a friend organize

I've recently been asked to help a friend organize her house--the problem is I don't know how serious she is. Oh, I believe that she wants to organize her house--I just don't know if she knows how much work it will be. She wants me to do it myself--but I've explained that she has to do it. I will be there every step of the way but just as it is her stuff it is her decisions. What to save, what to sell, what to throw away. I can't tell you how excited I am. To think that I could help someone get some control of part of her life--by using skills that control mine. Ha. I said it, organizing controls me. Hi my name is Lori and I am addicted to organizing (diet Pepsi, Longaberger baskets, antiques, quilts, shoes, sweaters...oh am I typing this out loud. Ha.)
Every single day I do something with organizing--whether it is to move something to a more logical location, to go through something and purge, to put away something, to move something to a pile before I figure out how to organize it, etc. Just this morning I have moved my swimsuits and sun visors into my closet, purged 3 more of my 15 3/4 length sleeved sweaters after dividing them into 6 fall/winter and 6 spring/summer (I decided for right now to keep 12 instead of the 10 I originally wanted to. (Marked off the list--check), got out the purse that I am going to use for spring from a bin in the basement, went to the kids rooms to straighten up and put things in their proper places. I feel good. I feel like I accomplished something. I feel like I could keep on going.
Back to my friend. I am going to help her. I am going to get her going on something small first since she is overwhelmed and she feels like she can't do it. I am going to ask her to do one drawer, one box, one bin, one shelf--one of something that really bothers her--but that one thing shouldn't take her more than 1/2 hour or less to do. I am going to have her accomplish something so that she sees a dent--and although some people may not think one small area makes a difference but I do. Every time she looks at that drawer, shelf, box, space she will see it organized and she will think I did that and I can do some more.
The thought of helping someone get like stuff together makes my heart sing. If she could just purge stuff that has been sitting someplace for a long time because it requires energy to go throw will be uplifting for her. If she could think "I need X" and know exactly where to go to get it...I would be happy for her. I told her we would start this summer. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment