Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring decluttering...another room down

I'm not doing my Spring cleaning yet. Just going through stuff--purging and reorganizing. Once I get those things done in each room I will be starting my Spring cleaning list (I have yet to make). So that way--my goal is to spend one whole day going from room to room (at least one floor at a time) cleaning---not sorting, not deciding, not re-organizing just cleaning--floor to ceiling. Actually I clean ceiling to floor. I have made it through both kids' room. I just go in there every couple of days to make sure things are still neat.

I had talked to my BFF and told her that I would not be cleaning out my daughter's room. But every time I went in there I was overwhelmed with all the stuff she wasn't throwing out--I don't mean treasures, clothes, books, movies or anything like that. I mean garbage--you know, 12 pop cans, 3 empty water bottles, 2 spoons, 2 hair product containers, empty or dried up fingernail polish, empty eye shadow containers, lip gloss that was leaking out of it's containers, broken pens and pencils, etc. Those are just some of the stuff I threw away in addition to lots and lots of paper. HOW DISGUSTING. Totally against everything I stand for. Neatness. Orderliness. Cleanliness. YUCK! So...the more I thought about what my friend and I had talked about the more I decided that it was my home and her room was unexceptable to me. I have plans to do a complete clean and purge to her room every 3 months.

No surface was left untouched. I went through every drawer, bin, basket, box, bag, purse and shelf. I looked under, behind and in every piece of furniture that is in her room. The shirt she accused me of putting in someone else's drawer--between the mattress and box springs--still confused on that one. I am still missing a cord to her old Ihome that is going to be repurposed in her brother's room--eventually. I'm racking my brain trying to think where that one would be. When I Spring clean the bedding will come off and maybe with any luck it will be in that!?!?! (can't think of where else it will be.

I left a note of stuff she still has to go through: downsizing her tshirts and her tank tops, go through her jewelry and match earrings and throw away any without a match and anything broken, try on her shorts and capris and go through all her art pencils and markers and get rid of any that are broken or no longer work.

I also left a list of stuff I wanted to buy for her room to make storing her stuff (much loved and used stuff)easier for her to get to. She can add or subtract stuff to that list and final approval is mine. Here are a few of the things I want to get: larger garbage can, another magnet board (i have one that used to be Zach's somewhere), a hanging pen and colored pencil organizer, new pillows for her bed--hers are smashed flat and a small/skinny plastic drawer organizer for all her hair products and makeup that will fit under her vanity.

I worked in her room for 4 hours. I felt a huge sense of accomplishment after I hauled out a laundry basket of dirty laundry, one of rummage stuff (old clothes I haven't seen her wear forever) and one of garbage. It felt good. I felt happy.

She on the other hand was none too please with her mother...

No comments:

Post a Comment