Thursday, June 3, 2010

New Job

I started my new job on Tuesday, well, I am training for my new job. I'm not officially the new high school secretary until August 2nd when I go back and start preparing for registration.

I've been trying to learn 101 new things in the span of 4 days. Problem is that there are some things I just can't learn until the kids get there. Today I started assigning locker numbers and I cleaned out senior folders and moved everyone else up a class.

The secretary that is there now has been there since Doug left (21 years) and I have big shoes to fill. She knows it all--in a good way--I'm half afraid things will start to fall apart the minute that she leaves. I can do the job--don't get me wrong. I am a hard worker and I can succeed at this--it's just that she has it down to a science and I will be starting from scratch. She knows the kids backwards and forwards--on top of everything else I will be learning the student body. Out of about 300+ students I might know 75--1/2 of them are from Kate's class and the other half are from the 8th graders that played junior high sports with Zach--track, baseball and basketball.

She has agreed to come back and help me for a few hours a week for the first few weeks and then said she would be on-call for whenever I need her. Luckily, one of the mothers (her sub now) comes in every Monday to file and help in the office, so she will be a good resource too. I like the other secretaries in the building--the unit office secretaries--are very nice too. And the principal seems like a dream boss. He's very laid back--unlike the last Hitler--I mean boss--I had. He just basically goes with the flow. Lovely!!

I may regret saying this now, but this is my dream job--I've said that before when I worked at the church--before I got the boss from hell. It has most of the characteristics that I have on my ideal job "list". Including: good hours (7:30-3:30), working independently (this means that I am only responsible for myself--mostly and the only other co-worker will be my boss), need to be busy, I'm off when my kids are off (basically full vacation days--I do have to work the rest of the day on a 1/2 day, but I am okay with that--that will be a catch up day), and most of the summer off (I work 10 days before and after school gets out--I work a total of 196 days a year--YIPPEE!), close to home--can you say 4 doors down, feel like I am contributing to the family. Those are the big ones.

I knew if I waited patiently (ha--have you met me)something would "come" to me. I wasn't sure at first--who is of new experiences, but the minute I sat down at that interview and spoke to that principal I knew that there is where I wanted to be. Fate is like that you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment