Sunday, August 2, 2009

Is it fall yet?

It feels like it. All this non-hot weather has really gotten me in the mood for getting my fall decorations out. I still have almost 2 more months until it actually is fall.

We went down to my Grandma Bright's yesterday to get this huge cabinet/bookcase that was in her and my grandpa's garage. One time before she passed away I was out in the garage with my mom and noticed this cabinet that I fell in love with. My grandpa was a mechanic and he had it loaded down with all sorts of parts and garage what not. No one in my family sees what I do in the cabinet. They are all shocked that I want it. To them it is just a piece of junk. Wait until Doug gets done with it. He is in the process of painting it right at this minute. I am going to try to wrestle it upstairs and put it in my scrap area and load it up with some of my own what not. And when it is all decorated I am going to take a picture of it and email it to everyone so that they know I am not crazy.

Speaking of treasures from Grandma and Grandpa's...I also got a painted pink stool that used to sit in my Great Grandma's front porch area and it held a basket to catch the mail from her slot. (I have the basket too--I have had it for most of my life though--it was what I used for my baby's cradle when I was little) Anyway back to the stool, it was the extra seat all of us kids used when there weren't any other chairs at the dinner table. I also got this cool retro table cloth--my mother said was ugly. It has turquoise, salmon pink and a tan color in the designs on it. I won't use it in the house--it doesn't got with my decor, but I will use it on my porch or at a picnic or whatever. I will think of my Gram every time I use it. I got a old tablecloth from Doug's grandma's stuff when she passed away too along with some cool doilies--some are crocheted and some have embroidery work on them. I love old stuff. I have visions some day of making them into cool pillows for the porch. That is on my to do list--maybe when the kids are gone.

Only 8 more days until school registration and then another 8 days after that for school to start. I am ready. It's good to have time without a routine, but I am a woman who likes routine and I have had enough of a summer with no schedules. Plus I also like my time alone and I can count on one hand how many times I have had to myself this summer. I need my own time in a house without kids and a husband. No offense family!

Heading to the library tomorrow to get a couple books to read. I'm hoping the kids will go along with me and get a few to read themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment